Household Hazardous Waste
City of Upland Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection Center will Re-Open on Saturday, March 6, 2021 from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
The HHW site will resume normal operational hours on Saturdays, the collection center will close during inclement weather rain or/and 100 degree plus temperatures, on holiday weekends, and when material collections have reach capacity.
Beginning March 6th, San Bernardino County residents can drop off items such as paint, oil, pesticides, and more at Upland Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection Facility, 1370 N. Benson Ave., Upland, CA.
Items must be less than 15 gal. or 125 lbs. Waste must be in the back of the vehicle. No business waste accepted.
For questions or concerns, please call us at (909) 291-2935, 7:00 AM to 6:00 PM Monday–Thursday. For other HHW collection centers locations and operating hours, please call prior to visiting 1-800-645-9228 or visit https://www.sbcfire.org/ofm/hhw/CollectionFacilities.aspx for more information.
Thank you for helping us ensure the safety and protection of the community and the environment.
Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) collection is for residents of San Bernardino County, excluding the City of Fontana, to surrender household generated hazardous waste, free of charge, for proper disposal.
Location: The Upland City Yard - 1370 North Benson Ave.
Contacts: City of Upland’s Integrated Waste hotline: (909) 931-4343.
Public Works Mainline: (909) 291-2930
- Residents who are displaying or experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms will be turned away and asked to return to the HHW collection site 2 weeks after symptoms subside.
- Participants must wear a mask.
- All materials must be securely placed in unlocked trunk or bed of truck. For safety, staff will not enter vehicle cabin.
- Limit of 15 gallons or 125 pounds in containers no larger than five (5) gallons per vehicle.
No business waste is accepted.
What we accept:
- Used motor oil, filters, antifreeze & automotive products
- Hobby supplies, paints, and thinners
- Propane tanks
- Fluorescent tubes & mercury thermometers
- Fertilizers, pesticides & herbicides
- Pool chemicals & chemical cleaners
- Household cleaners and cooking oil
- Personal medications
- Electronic waste & batteries**
- Separate controlled and uncontrolled substances in plastic bags
*Special sharps containers may be obtained free of charge at the Public Works Office Monday through Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m or during normal HHW Program Hours on Saturdays. However, sharps may only be submitted for disposal during the HHW Program and not during normal business hours at the Public Works Office.
**New DOT regulations require that some battery terminals be protected to prevent fires from sparks generated from friction during the transport of batteries. Please place tape on the terminals of all batteries except for AA, AAA, C, and D batteries. Thank you for your cooperation.
We do not accept explosives, asbestos, radioactive waste, business waste, and medical waste. For disposal options please call (909) 382-5401
For additional information about the Household Hazardous Waste Program, click here.
Used Oil Services at a Glance
Free Used Car Oil Transport Containers
- Available during open HHW collection center hours.
- Available at the City Yard, Monday - Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Please call (909) 291-2930 to make an appointment to pick-up your free used oil container.
- CLOSED until further notice
- Made from green waste collected throughout the City
- Available only to Upland residents
- Availability but not guaranteed on Saturdays during open HHW collection center hours.
- 35 gallon per trip limit